Master of Science, (Social Policy and Planning), London School of Economics, 1993
Master of Arts (History), St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi, 1976
Indian School Certificate, The Doon School, Dehradun, 1970
Joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1976 and allotted to the Madhya Pradesh Cadre. Career Summary
After superannuation was Member, Expenditure Management Commission set up to review the allocative and operational efficiencies of Government expenditure to achieve maximum output. The Commission concluded its work end February 2016 after giving a series of reports inter alia on fiscal management, defence expenditure, streamlining administrative processes and public procurement and social sector spending.
Immediately prior to superannuation, was the Union Finance Secretary (as Secretary, Department of Revenue). Had also served as Secretary (Expenditure) and Secretary (Disinvestment) as well as Secretary in the Thirteenth Finance Commission, consecutively in the Ministry of Finance, GOI since August 2007 till superannuation. Was member of the core group for the Union Budget from 2010 to 2015. Served the Government of Madhya Pradesh (GoMP) as Principal Secretary (Finance) during which tenure various reforms including fiscal responsibility legislation, outcome budgeting, extensive use of the PPP mechanism, contributory pension scheme was introduced in MP. Had also done an early stint in the Department of Economic Affairs, MOF, GOI as Deputy Secretary in the Fund Bank Division.
Have been involved in several assignments in the field of education for more than eight years, first as Secretary, School Education in the GoMP and then as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of HRD, GOI. During the latter assignment, was responsible for the launch and execution of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan for universalization of elementary education.
Have served the GoMP in the field, as the District Magistrate and Collector of Sidhi Rewa, Gwalior and Bhopal Districts. In the State Secretariat, besides Departments of Finance and Education, served in the Chief Minister's Office in two stints, first as Special Assistant as a junior officer and later as Secretary to the Chief Minister.
Undertook various consultancy assignments on aid effectiveness, land acquisition and resettlement and primary education with the World Bank, Commonwealth Secretariat, United Nations Development Programme and Department for International Development, (UK) in India and in Washington DC, London, Kenya and Turkey
Government Committee Work
Chairman, Expert Committee on working of Cantonment Boards set up by Ministry of Defence in January 2018 (work underway).
Chairman, Committee to Study Optimum use of Defence Land set up by Ministry of Defence in January 2017 (report submitted in December 2017).
Chairman, Committee on Performance Based Payments for Better Outcomes in Rural Development Programmes set up by Ministry of Rural Development in December 2016 (report submitted in October, 2017).
Member, Expert Panel to review the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Legislation, constituted by Ministry of Finance (reported submitted in January 2017).
Chairman, Expert Group to study Objective criteria for Allocation of Resources to States and Identification and Prioritization of Beneficiaries under various programmes using SECC, Ministry of Rural Development (report submitted in January 2017)
Member, Expenditure Management Commission (report submitted in February 2016).
Chairman, Committee to recommend measures for curbing mis-selling and rationalising distribution incentives in financial products (report submitted in August 2015).
Chairman, Advisory Committee on Ways And Means Advances to State Governments, RBI (report submitted in November 2015).
- Independent Director, Coromandal International Limited
- Independent Director, Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited
- Independent Director, HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited
- Vice Chairman, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, an independent legal think tank
- Chairman, Jal Seva Charitable Foundation (WaterAid India, New Delhi [not for profit company]).
- Director, Foundation to Educate Girls Globally, Mumbai [not for profit company]).
- Chairman, Governing Body, Parivaar Education Society, Kolkata, an NGO which works for the total care and overall development of children who are highly vulnerable to exploitation, victimization and trafficking, including orphans, street children, abandoned children, and extremely impoverished children from tribal areas.
- Member, Governing Body, Barefoot College, Tilonia. Earlier known as the Social Work and Research Centre, Barefoot College works through network of rural men and women who are known as 'Barefoot Professionals' to bring about sustainable change.
- Member, Executive Committee, Samaj Pragati Sahayog, Dewas Madhya Pradesh which works for water and livelihood security in India's most backward districts, mainly in the central Indian Adivasi belt.
- 09/2014 -- 02/2016 : Member, Expenditure Management Commission
- 08/2012 – 31/3/2014 (Date of Superannuation) : Finance Secretary (since 12/2013) & Secretary, GOI , Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance
- 05/2011 – 08/2012 : Secretary, GOI, Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance
- 02/2010 – 05/2011 : Secretary, GOI, Department of Disinvestment, Ministry of Finance
- 08/07 – 01/2010: Secretary, Thirteenth Finance Commission
- 05/04 – 08/07: Principal Secretary, Department of Finance, Government of MP
- 09/2003: Consultant, DFID
- 07/98 to 07/2003: Joint Secretary, Department of Education and Director General, SSA Mission, GOI
- 05/97 – 07/98: Secretary, Department of Medical Education, Government of MP
- 02/98 – 03/98 and 11/96 – 04/97: Consultant UNDP
- 10/94 – 10/96: Secretary, Department of School Education, Government of MP
- 05/94 – 06/94: Consultant, Commonwealth Secretariat
- 01/93 – 09/93: Secretary, Departments of Finance and Public Enterprises, Government of MP
- 06/90 – 01/93: Secretary to Chief Minister, Government of MP
- 02/91 – 03/91 ; 09/89: Consultant, World Bank
- 09/89 – 06/90, 08/88 – 08/89 & 04/82 – 05/84: Collector and District Magistrate of Bhopal, Gwalior, Rewa and Sidhi districts
- 06/88 – 07/88: Consultant, World Bank
- 05/84 – 05/88: Deputy Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, GOI